Monday 19 May 2008

"Mighty things from small beginnings grow" John Dryden




Well, these are very small beginnings, and a very messy polytunnel (there are only so many hours in a day that can be spent in the tidying and cleaning mode...well, there are for me anyway). Mighty things may one day appear if I continue to hold off the armies of mice and their henchmen and partners in battle, the slugs. The white bits all over the soil are egg shells, in plentiful supply thanks to many hearty breakfast eaters. Apparently slugs do not like to get their tunnies scratched, I am with them on that one. The ugly plastic bits round the plants are chopped off plastic bottles which attempt to provide an extra barrier to the aforementioned attacks and also act as a mini cloche. I am driven to scavenging bottles from wherever I can (it can become an obsession!) as even one planting of peas can take a lot of bottles but we are getting there. I have just looked at the photos as I have downloaded them onto here, and yes, admittedly the outside stuff is on the tiny side, there are lots of potatoes lurking just under the ground which is why it looks very bare at the far side. But hey, look at those radishes in the foreground! You will all be envious of those in a few weeks......All that digging will be well worth it then!!!

No comments: